I did learn a few things from making it twice back to back.
Number one: Use a frozen banana (I always toss bananas in the freezer if they start to brown or “over ripen” to use in baking or smoothies). I only had one banana in my freezer so the second smoothie had a fresh one. Truly, the one with the frozen banana was noticeably better to both of us.
Two: Chill the coffee before you add it. We have an espresso machine so I made 3 ounces of coffee with espresso beans and then added ice to get to 1/2 cup and chill it quickly.
Three: Choose your sweetener. The original recipe calls for 2 tsp sugar but sugar isn’t my favorite sweetener. You could choose Splenda or Truvia to decrease the calories or a natural sweetener like honey.
COFFEE BANANA SMOOTHIE
- 1 sliced, peeled FROZEN banana
- 1 cup soy milk or other low fat milk (I used a light vanilla soy milk)
- 1/2 cup cold black coffee
- 1/2 cup of ice
- 1/4 cup plain low fat yogurt (regular or Greek)
- 1 packet of Splenda or 1 tsp honey or 2 tsp sugar (Note: if you use a flavored soy milk you may not need to add sweetener)
Add all the ingredients to a blender, blend until smooth and Enjoy!