It’s hard to pick a favorite food when you’re 40 weeks and 5 days pregnant but my normal evening snack these days is pretty consistently cereal. I’ve never been a big cereal eater for breakfast as I always seem to get hungry quicker than if I have something with more protein like my normal English Muffin with peanut butter, egg or oatmeal with nuts, soy milk and nut butter mixed in. That being said I absolutely LOVE having cereal as my bedtime snack. One, because I often want something cold (if not cereal then ice cream tends to be my pick) and two because I love the crunch.
When it comes to picking out cereals there are four things that are important to me in evaluating the nutritional value.
- Whole grain ingredients
- Less than 25-30% calories from sugar
- Fiber content (this is last because I eat a lot of fruits and veggies and fiber rich foods throughout the day)
Here are my standard Favorites
- Frosted Mini Wheats Original (little bites is my favorite)
- 1 cup= 200 calories, 22% calories from sugar, 6g Fiber
- COMBO bowl – 1 1/4 cup Rice Krispies (130 calories, 12% calories from sugar, 0g Fiber) + 1/2 cup Kind Cinnamon Oat Clusters with Flax Seed Granola (210 calories in 1/2 cup, 19% calories from sugar, 7g Fiber)
- Total (~1 3/4 cup) = 340 calories, 16% calories from sugar, 7g Fiber
- MultiGrain Cheerios
- 1 cup = 110 calories, 22% calories from sugar, 3g Fiber
- Special K -Red Berries
- 1 cup = 110 calories in 1 cup (32.7% calories from sugar), 3g Fiber
- YES this cereal is above 30% calories from sugar (which on one hand I’m surprised by with its commercials and claims. On the other hand it does taste like the flakes are sweetened and it has fruit in it with natural sugar so with that in mind I’m not surprised).