Every September I get anxious to start making soup and fall foods. I love the change of season and all the warm delicious meals. All it takes is the humidity to leave and my kitchen is in soup mode. It’s currently 5:45pm and still 70 degrees out but the nice lake breeze and windows open made it perfect for soup.
My amazing girlfriend and past roomie Claire gave me this recipe years ago and it never gets old. I think I’ve shared it 20 times which means it’s time for it to get on my blog. It’s easy, quick and delicious. Somewhat like a pasta fagioli soup but even better. The kids, Ryan and I all love it! Without further ado- here is the recipe!
Note: you can easily substitute gluten free noodles to make it gluten free OR use meat substitutes or skip the sausage for a vegetarian fair. Either would easily work.
Tortellini and Sausage Soup
- 1 lb bulk Italian Sausage (I use links- 3 turkey Italian sausage, 3 mild Italian and took casings off)
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped
- 3 chicken broth (or 3 cups of water + 2 tsp chicken bouillion)
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 3 sliced carrots
- 1 zucchini, halved and sliced
- 1 27 oz can Tomato soup
- 1 can Cannellini beans (white beans) (with liquid)
- 1 can diced tomatoes (with liquid)
- 9 oz cheese tortellini
- ¼ c red wine
- Few tbsp of olive oil
- 2 tbsp of balsamic vinegar
- Parmesan cheese to sprinkle on top
- Add 1-2 Tbsp olive oil to pan and cook sausage and onion over medium heat, drain thoroughly.
- Stir in remaining ingredients, except parmesan cheese.
- Heat to boiling, reduce heat, cover and simmer 20 minutes.
- Serve with parmesan cheese sprinkled on top.