The first day back to work after vacation always comes as a shock. The relaxation quickly fizzles and responsibilities, deadlines and workloads accumulate quicker than anticipated. Today was day two back to work for my husband and I and knowing how busy he has been I decided to make a meal I knew he would love. Let me first explain why I knew he would love this dish. First, you will have to know that I’ve never been a beef lover. My mom doesn’t like steak so we didn’t have it as kids and once I tried it as an adult I wasn’t impressed. I’m a big texture eater and while the flavor of steak is usually delicious I don’t like all the chewing that comes with it. Now, I know what most of you are thinking, “You just haven’t had a good steak before.” I’ve heard this line a million times and I’ve tried many different cuts, flavors and cooking methods. Nine out of ten times I’m still turned off by the texture and only eat half an ounce (with the exception of a beef tenderloin I had at Manny’s Steak house that melted in my mouth). That being said I don’t cook beef often so my husband has to resort to ordering fancy steaks when we are out to eat. The second reason I knew he’d love my dinner choice was the fresh ginger and Sriracha added to the sauce; two things he loves.
- 1 cup whole grain rice (uncooked)
- 3 tablespoons dry sherry, divided
- 3 tablespoons lower-sodium soy sauce, divided
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 pound boneless sirloin steak, cut diagonally across grain into thin slices
- 1 cup lower-sodium beef or chicken broth
- 2 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoon hoisin sauce
- 2 teaspoon Sriracha (hot chile sauce) or 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon ginger, peeled and grated + more for the top of your dish if desired
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 4 cups broccoli (~1 broccoli head), chopped (you can buy the prechopped bag at the store to save time)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/3 cup sliced green onions
- Cook 1 cup of whole grain rice according to directions.
- While rice cooks, combine 1 tablespoon sherry, 1 tablespoon soy sauce, sugar, and beef. Stir together 2 tablespoon sherry, 2 tablespoon soy sauce, broth, cornstarch, hoisin, and Sriracha.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add beef mixture; sauté 3 minutes or until browned. Remove beef from pan. Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil to pan. Add ginger and garlic; cook 30 seconds, stirring constantly.
- Add broccoli and 1/4 cup water; cook 1 minute. Add onions; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add broth mixture and beef mixture; cook 2 minutes or until beef is thoroughly heated and sauce is slightly thick.
- Serve beef mixture over rice. Add fresh ginger and Sriracha to top as desired