I thought I would start a food of the month and what better way to start then with a warm meal for this cold month of December. Chili is one of my favorite things to make since I love spice, cilantro, soup, beans and vegetables and chili mixes all of that together. Chili can be a very healthy meal since it’s loaded with tomatoes, vegetables and beans. Try to avoid loading it with sour cream, cheese and chips. I usually add a small amount of light sour cream or I add a few slices of avocado and cilantro. One great thing about chili is you can serve it to almost anyone since you can make it vegetarian, gluten free or dairy free very easily. There are so many types of chili and I love trying new recipes. Since I love spice I usually end up adding extra jalapenos, chili peppers or chili powder then the recipes calls for.
Here are a few I love. I hope you find them as tasty as I do. Let me know what you think!
Black Bean and Sweet Potato Chili (Vegetarian)
Source: Cooking Light September 2010
Chicken Chili Recipe
- 14 oz can of black beans (drained – I use the no added salt canned black beans)
- 1 can red beans (drained)
- 1/2 can refried beans
- 29 oz can of crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup Low Sodium Chicken Broth
- Chipotle marinade
- 4 Chicken breasts
- 1 Red pepper (chopped)
- 1 Green pepper (chopped)
- 1 Jalapeno pepper (chopped)
- 1 Yellow onion (chopped)
- 4 Garlic Cloves
- 1 Tbsp cumin
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 Tbsp salt
- Marinate the chicken in the Lawry’s marinade (for at least 30 minutes) and cut into chunks.
- In skillet add olive oil and brown chicken.
- Remove chicken from pan once cooked.
- In same pan saute onion, red and green peppers and garlic. In large pot add chricken broth, red and black beans and tomatos. Stir.
- Add chicken and 1/2 can of refried beans.
- Add seasoning.
- Let simmer as desired. Ready when heated.